[Samba] problem with local logon using roaming profiles

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Mar 23 05:10:16 GMT 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-22 at 21:57, Ed Ravin wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 09:19:17PM +0100, lists at wd.nu wrote:
> >
> > I had expected a simple error message telling me I can\'t use
> > the servers profile but the error message I receive is:
> > \"The system cannot log you on now because the domain xxx is not
> > available.\"
>
> I just encountered this problem on a Windows XP laptop.  It had something
> to do with the way they store the name of the domain as a DNS name. The
> laptop was formerly a member of a domain run by a Win2K box that had been
> migrated to Samba with "net rpc vampire", and the sniffer showed that after
> logging in to the Samba box, it would start looking for the the old Windows
> box that used to be the PDC, starting out by doing a SRV record DNS lookup
> for the "domain.example.com" (i.e. FQDN) name, hunting for LDAP servers
> and Active Directory.
>
> The fix in this case turned out to be to join a workgroup (i.e. leave the
> domain, which deleted the domain information), then re-join the domain.
----
just for the record - the net rpc vampire should have moved the machine
accounts properly. I've seen it, it does work. When it fails, it's
usually because of some slip up in the procedure - which is easy since
it's not a process most people are likely to repeat. In my case, since I
had a perfectly serviceable PDC in WinNT 4, I kept repeating the process
to get it right.

Anway, you should be able to simply 're-join' the domain and not join a
workgroup (i.e. - leave the domain) and not imperil users profiles.

Craig