[Samba] problem with local logon using roaming profiles

Ed Ravin eravin at panix.com
Tue Mar 23 18:14:01 GMT 2004

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 10:10:16PM -0700, Craig White wrote:
> just for the record - the net rpc vampire should have moved the machine
> accounts properly. I've seen it, it does work.

I concur with that statement - "net rpc vampire" worked fine for me too.
The issue in my case was that Windows XP had somehow cached the DNS
name of the former ADS server in my test network.  When I would login
to the XP box, the sniffer showed that the laptop would complete a few
successful transactions with the Samba PDC, then start looking for the
old Windows ADS/PDC box and then issue the "the domain cannot be found"
message.  One symptom was that when I re-joined the domain using its
NETBIOS name rather than ADS-style full domain name, the full domain
name was still in the "Network Identification" section of the control
panel/System after I rebooted.

> Anway, you should be able to simply 're-join' the domain and not join a
> workgroup (i.e. - leave the domain) and not imperil users profiles.

How would leaving the domain and rejoining imperil the profiles?  Every
time I've done that (Win2000, XP), the local profiles were undamaged once
I returned to the domain.  I haven't tried roaming profiles, though.