[Samba] problem with local logon using roaming profiles

Ed Ravin eravin at panix.com
Tue Mar 23 04:57:04 GMT 2004

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 09:19:17PM +0100, lists at wd.nu wrote:

> I had expected a simple error message telling me I can\'t use
> the servers profile but the error message I receive is:
> \"The system cannot log you on now because the domain xxx is not
> available.\"

I just encountered this problem on a Windows XP laptop.  It had something
to do with the way they store the name of the domain as a DNS name. The
laptop was formerly a member of a domain run by a Win2K box that had been
migrated to Samba with "net rpc vampire", and the sniffer showed that after
logging in to the Samba box, it would start looking for the the old Windows
box that used to be the PDC, starting out by doing a SRV record DNS lookup
for the "domain.example.com" (i.e. FQDN) name, hunting for LDAP servers
and Active Directory.

The fix in this case turned out to be to join a workgroup (i.e. leave the
domain, which deleted the domain information), then re-join the domain.