[Samba] Re: read and write list

Matt Perkins mperkins at lbmc.com
Wed Mar 17 16:44:50 GMT 2004

On Wednesday, March 17, 2004, Igor Kryltsov wrote:
> I can not find information how to configure a share to allow everyone
> read access and users of specific NT group write access.
> smb.conf looks like: [global]
>         log level = 2
>         syslog = 2
>         workgroup = AMITY
>         netbios name = AMITYDEVEL
>         guest account = nobody
>         security = server
>         password server = AMDATA
>         hosts allow = 10.
>         local master = yes
>         socket options = TCP_NODELAY
>         writable = yes
>         guest ok = yes

Take these entries out of your global configuration:
writable = yes
guest ok = yes

>2) My share configuration now looks like:
[web_applications_ams_development]
>        comment = Web Application AMS Development
>        path = /var/ams
>        guest ok = Yes
>        write list = @"AMITY+Domain Admins"
>        write list = @"Domain Admins"
>        read only = No
>        volume = WEB_APPLICATION_AMS_DEVELOPMENT

>I do not belong to group "Domain Admins" but still can write to share.

Change your share permission to this:
comment = Web Application AMS Development
        path = /var/ams
        write list = @"AMITY+Domain Admins"
        volume = WEB_APPLICATION_AMS_DEVELOPMENT

With this share definition, only members of the Domain Admins group
should be able to write to the directory. For read only users, add <read
list = Group> to the share definition.

Matt