[Samba] 3.0.3pre1 byte range lock leak?

Jerry Haltom jhaltom at feedbackplusinc.com
Sat Mar 6 04:04:52 GMT 2004

I'm having a problem involving Outlook and .pst files and a lock that is
getting "stuck" I believe.

Once Outlook crashes in the fashion it does, it is unable to reopen the
file, claiming it is already in use. Explorer also does not let me
access the file. Rebooting the workstation does not fix it.

smbstatus does not show the lock, however hwen I show byte range locks,
there is one, from a PID that doesn't exist. I assume this is the
problem lock.

The smbd that owned the lock died when the client rebooted/reconnected.

I am unable to fix this problem. I think that samba at least needs a
smblocks utility to force locks to be released, and manipulate the lock
db (is there such a thing) in order to fix solutions like these. When it
happens a user on the network is unable to access their email until
samba is restarted, which cannot be done during normal working hours...
it's becoming a big problem. (does it already have such a utility?)

I am using 3.0.3pre1, Debian Woody. Linux 2.4.22.

Thanks.

Jerry Haltom