[Samba] Problem with stale smdb processes when users log out

Peter Loron peterl at standingwave.org
Sat Mar 6 03:38:52 GMT 2004

I'm running Samba 3.0.0-15 (default install) on a Fedora FC1 machine.
I've attached the smb.conf file below. The Samba server is acting as a
WINS server on our testlab network, but is not a PDC, nor is it joined
into a domain. Users authenticate by using a username/password that is
local to the Samba server.

The problem I'm seeing is that when a user has been connected to the
Samba server and then logs out of their Windows machine, the connections
sometimes persist. As an example:

1. User logs in to a WinXP or Win2K3 machine using a domain account (the
domain PDC is another Windows machine, not the Samba machine).

2. Once in Windows, a connection to the Samba machine is opened via the
Run menu (\\server\share). The connections ('IPC$' and 'sharename' can
be seen via smbstatus and 'net use').

3. User logs out of the Windows machine without explicitly disconnecting
from the Samba server.

4. Connections on the Samba server can sill be seen with smbstatus.

4. User logs in to the same Windows machine, this time with a local
machine account (such as localMachine\Administrator).

5. User tries to connect to the Samba server using the Run menu, and
gets an error saying that the password is invalid. Checking with 'net
use' shows that a connection to the Samba server already exists.

6. Deleting the connection ('net use \\server\share /delete') sometimes
restores functionality, but not consistently.

Any ideas? Thanks.

-Pete

-------------------------

[global]