[Samba] Re: Samba3.0.2a, MS Office (Excel), Save problem.

Dmitry Melekhov dm at belkam.com
Thu Mar 4 16:33:00 GMT 2004

<quote>
 My problem was really with XFS and Excel files in shared
mode.  Back to the previous example, after Tom saves the file,
Tom becomes the owner of the file and Bob ends up in the ACL list.
John comes along and saves the file.  John becomes the owner and
now Tom and Bob are now on the ACL list.

 XFS had a (random?) bug where the ACL list gets reset when
you reach around 20 or so ACL entries.  If this bug occurs when
John saves the file, Tom and Bob's ACL entries get deleted along with
the other entries.

 XFS was eventually replaced on my server with ReiserFS.

</quote>

Hello!

I can't beleive this, sorry. ;-)
I run Linux servers with xfs at least 3 years.
Samba _never_ adds users to acls, and even don't change owner!
Yes, Excel files are with new owner, but just because Excel creates new file
instead of saving over.

About reiserfs. AFAIK, many people run it without problems.
But, imho, it is unstable. IMHO.
So, good luck ! :-)