[Samba] Frustrated...Samba on linux w/xfs SLOW problem

John Dollar johnnydollar at techie.com
Tue Jun 29 01:35:15 GMT 2004

I had tried scping and that does work fine.

I tried the following test.  I created a new ext2 file system on the computer, made it a samba share, and turned off all other samba shares except the ext2 one.  I then wrote a 35M file from my windows machine to the linux server.  It worked like it used to.

This seems to prove to me that a) there is no network problem, b) samba is working correctly, c) there is DEFINATELY an issue with XFS and samba.  From what I've read in some other places, it appears there is also an issue with ReiserFS and samba.  What is it with samba that it only appears to like ext2/3 fs's?

Is *ANYONE* using XFS with samba and having it work at a normal rate of speed when writing to it?

Before anyone asks, I also did try mounting a drive from my windows machine via smbclient and copy a file on the linux box from the windows machine.  That works fine, even to the xfs drives.

It seems to me that there's got to be some option in the samba configuration that I just don't have correct.  If someone is currently successfully using linux xfs w/samba, please, share your config!