[Samba] v3.0.4 fails to compile (passdb/pdb_ldap.c) OpenLDAP 2.2.13 and MIT Kerberos?

Ivan Dean ivanskydean at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 29 01:25:56 GMT 2004

I have been trying to put together a SAMBA installation with winbind that
will link to an existing ActiveDirectory, to allow UNIX (Solaris 9) hosts to
accept logins from people using AD credentials.  This has been slow going.
Since I am running Solaris 9, Sun took a while to re-enable non-standard
PAM/nsswitch.conf entries so winbind would work at all, but this part is now
fixed.

I think I have determined that a workable install will require Kerberos and
OpenLDAP, and I will have to initialise Kerberos and then bind to the
ActiveDirectory domain.  So my configure line for SAMBA 3.0.4 looks like:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/samba-3.0.4 --with-included-popt --with-ads
--with-ldap --with-krb5 --with-ldapsam

(Maybe this is incorrect, advice gratefully received).  I think I have been
following the SAMBA manually, especially chapter 20, pretty carefully.  I'm
using MIT Kerberos version 5, release 1.3.4 and OpenLDAP version 2.2.13.
These both installed with no major problems.

Assuming I'm on the right track, I then ended up at a major roadblock,
because when I tried to compile SAMBA, I got:

passdb/pdb_ldap.c: In function `ldapsam_modify_aliasmem':
passdb/pdb_ldap.c:2390: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer
without a
cast
passdb/pdb_ldap.c: In function `pdb_init_ldapsam_common':
passdb/pdb_ldap.c:2651: incompatible types in assignment
passdb/pdb_ldap.c: In function `pdb_init_ldapsam':
passdb/pdb_ldap.c:2737: incompatible types in assignment
make: *** [passdb/pdb_ldap.o] Error 1

Maybe I haven't provided enough context here, happy to post some more if
needed.
I have been searching all through the mailing list, the Bugzilla database,
and so on, without success.  I note a recent post by Piotr Brudny with the
same problem, but the brief response by Tim Jordan does not help me as far
as I can tell.  If anyone has any further suggestions I would be most
grateful.

Thanks.
Ivan D.