[Samba] Frustrated...Samba on linux w/xfs SLOW problem

John Dollar johnnydollar at techie.com
Mon Jun 28 04:29:33 GMT 2004

I have a very simple setup here that I have recently made some
modifications to and it has affected my ability to save files to the
linux samba server.

The recent changes are:  converted all fs's to xfs from ext3.
Upgraded to latest kernel 2.6.7 from a 2.4 kernel.

Samba used to work fine.  Now, I can copy files out of my linux samba
server to my windows machine at full speed.  However, when I try
copying a file over 5 or 6 Megs from my windows XP machine (or even
in DOS) to the linux samba server, when I watch the activity lights,
it starts out at a decent speed for a second, then slows and slows
and eventually stops.  I then get the message "The specified
network name is no longer available."

Is there something with xfs that would be causing this?

I'm running samba 3.0.4.

Here is my smb.conf:

[global]
        workgroup = Mystuff