[Samba] /etc/group issue

Jaouich.Cyril at hydro.qc.ca Jaouich.Cyril at hydro.qc.ca
Fri Jun 25 13:22:30 GMT 2004

Good morning...

	I ran into a problem yesterday and I am wondering about the way
samba (2.2.8) reads the /etc/group file. I have a group that has 2000+ users
in it, so the group is defined with multiple entry lines for the same group:

Groupa::1000:id1:id2:...
Groupa::1000:id100:id101:...

	I have noticed that a user is in the 1st line of the group
definition (ie: id1), he can get access to the share no problem, but when he
is in the 2nd line (id100) he gets dropped. We use a PDC to get
authentication and there has recently been an upgrade on it, but it seems
like it behaves the same as before. Anyhow, the PDC could be the culprit,
but has anyone ever seen this problem with samba and very big /etc/group
file?

Exemple with id1
----------------
[root at host01:~]smbclient //shomd1/md1 -Uid1
Password:
Domain=[ZQC] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.2.8a]
smb: \>

Exemple with id100
----------------
[root at host01:~]smbclient //shomd1/md1 -Uid1
Password:
Domain=[ZQC] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.2.8a]
tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD

What is really funny, is that the PDC does seems to authenticate the user,
because I get a different msg if the password is not the right one (it does
seem like it's a problem with the groups & PDC)

Exemple with id100 (wrong passwd)
[root at host01:~]smbclient //shomd1/md1 -Uid100
Password:
Domain=[ZQC] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.2.8a]
tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

	Any ideas?

Cyril Jaouich (Consultant Unix)