[Samba] BackupExec Agent on Samba

Kevin Bramblett kbramblett at dssresearch.com
Fri Jun 18 17:52:44 GMT 2004

That is what I have found.  We are able to backup using our Samba shares
using BackupExec For Windows version 9.0.  I have been looking for a faster
way to backup our data as the samba side is very slow.

1) To setup this in BackupExec 9.0 for Windows, click on Edit, Edit
Selection List, choose a job type, then with Selections (under Source in the
Properties window) and View Format being Graphical, in the box with the
network tree, choose Remote Selections, Microsoft Windows Network, the
domain where the Linux box with Samba is, the Linux Box itself (this will
take lots of time), and finally the shares will show up.  Choose what you
wish here.

2) Next, go to User-defined Selections, and find your choices you just
selected above.  If they do not show, add a new User-defined Selection using
UNC format.  Note: you need to do both 1) and 2) to get this to work.

This works for us, but it is very slow.  I was hoping to find some tweaks to
speed it up.  For those who are wondering, we are using Samba 2.2.7-3.7.2 on
a RedHat Linux 7.2 Server.

Hope this helps.