[Samba] Clients can find printer when

McKeever Chris tech-mail at prupref.com
Sun Jun 6 15:14:40 GMT 2004

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 23:41 , Steve Cohen <stevecoh1 at comcast.net> sent:

>Thanks, Chris:

>Now, when I try to print a document from Windows, it goes through all the
>pages (spooling, I think) but then an error message pops up indicating that
>it failed to print (and of course no print comes out).  It won't tell me WHY
>it failed to print, just that it failed.  (This is more feedback than I got
>before, so it's a step forward).

so - making the printer local has let you move a little further?  IUf anyone on the list can explain the error messages when connecting to a
printer via network - that woul dbe most appreciated.

this sounds like what I had - just checking here - you are able to browse to a share without any problem - no connection dialoges? nothing out
of the ordinary, you can just go start->run->\\server\share and all works

here is a copy of a printer config from my smb.conf:

[bdc-toshiba550]
        printer = bdc_toshiba550
        printing = cups
        comment = toshiba_550 - BDC
        path = /var/spool/samba
        browseable = yes
        guest ok = yes
        writable = no
        printable = yes
        print command = lpr.cups -P %p -o raw %s;rm %s
        lpq command = lpstat.cups -o %p
        lprm command = cancel.cups %p-%j

>> >[Epson]
>> >        path = /var/spool/samba
>> >        read only = No
>> >        hosts allow = 192.168.123
>> >        printable = Yes
>> >        printer name = Epson
>> >        oplocks = No

I notice that you dont define your printer ... I have never actually printed to a printer connected directly to a SAMBA box, only through
LPD/IP using cups...

can you send a test page VIA the cups interface?

>I do notice that my log.nmbd file contains these messages:
>
>[2004/06/05 23:05:26, 0]
>nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:find_domain_master_name_query_fail(358)
>  find_domain_master_name_query_fail:
>  Unable to find the Domain Master Browser name DARROW335 for the
>workgroup DARROW335.
>  Unable to sync browse lists in this workgroup.
>
>I get these messages whether the Linux box is or is not the Domain Master
>Browser.  And I find no configurability of Domain Master Browser at all on
>the XP side.

I dont think these are contribting to the problem..but when you get things printing, I would work on fixing them..oh - make sure domain
master browser is not commented out, but instead set to NO or YES - I has noticed that the uncommented out default in 2.2.8a didnt do as
expected..

> [...]
>> >*passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
>> >        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
>> >        unix password sync = Yes
>> >        log level = 3
>> >        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
>> >        max log size = 0
>> >        socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
>> >        preferred master = Yes
>> >        domain master = Yes
>> >        dns proxy = No
>> >        wins server = 192.168.123.70
>> >        guest ok = Yes
>> >        printing = cups
>> >
>> >[homes]
>> >        comment = Home Directories
>> >        valid users = %S
>> >        read only = No
>> >        create mask = 0664
>> >        directory mask = 0775
>> >        browseable = No
>> >
>> >[printers]
>> >        comment = All Printers
>> >        path = /var/spool/samba
>> >        printable = Yes
>> >        browseable = No
>> >
>> >[Epson]
>> >        path = /var/spool/samba
>> >        read only = No
>> >        hosts allow = 192.168.123
>> >        printable = Yes
>> >        printer name = Epson
>> >        oplocks = No
>> >
>> >[testshare]
>> >        path = /tmp
>> >        guest account = ftp
>> >        read only = No
>> >        hosts allow = 192.168.123.0/255.255.255.0
>>
>> sorry for the double post - but make sure your host allow is right, you
>> have two different ones within the file (I have never used it) my
>> suggestion, take it out for now, start basic - get it to work and then add
>> from there till you break something or get your desired result.

>> Chris McKeever
>> If you want to reply directly to me, please use
>> cgmckeever--at--prupref---dot---com
>> href="http://www.prupref.com">www.prupref.com>
>> Prudential Preferred Properties
>> http://www.prupref.com">Chicago and Illinois NorthShore Real
>> Estate Experts
>>
>> >After reading some of the documentation, I came upon
>> >"Use Client Driver".  This looked reasonable, since I was in fact
>> > installing the driver on the Windows boxes.  I added this parameter to
>> > the config, under the "Epson" section, restarted smbd and nmbd and now, I
>> > no longer saw "Access Denied", I saw "Ready", but still, all attempts to
>> > print to this printer from the Windows boxes yielded nothing.  And all
>> > the auxiliary functions like "Print Test Page" from Windows timed out.
>> >
>> >Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong?
>> >
>> >Steve Cohen
>> >--
>>
>> ---- Prudential Preferred Properties   www.prupref.com
>> Success Driven By Results
>>    Results Driven By Commitment
>>       Commitment Driven By Integrity
>>          We Are Prudential Preferred Properties

Chris McKeever
If you want to reply directly to me, please use cgmckeever--at--prupref---dot---com
<A href="http://www.prupref.com">www.prupref.com</A>
Prudential Preferred Properties
<A href="http://www.prupref.com">Chicago and Illinois NorthShore Real Estate Experts</A>