[Samba] Clients can find printer when

Steve Cohen stevecoh1 at comcast.net
Sun Jun 6 15:35:47 GMT 2004

On Sunday 06 June 2004 10:14 am, you wrote:

> so - making the printer local has let you move a little further?  IUf
> anyone on the list can explain the error messages when connecting to a
> printer via network - that woul dbe most appreciated.
>
> this sounds like what I had - just checking here - you are able to browse
> to a share without any problem - no connection dialoges? nothing out of the
> ordinary, you can just go start->run->\\server\share and all works

Yes.

> here is a copy of a printer config from my smb.conf:
>
> [bdc-toshiba550]
>         printer = bdc_toshiba550
>         printing = cups
>         comment = toshiba_550 - BDC
>         path = /var/spool/samba
>         browseable = yes
>         guest ok = yes
>         writable = no
>         printable = yes
>         print command = lpr.cups -P %p -o raw %s;rm %s
>         lpq command = lpstat.cups -o %p
>         lprm command = cancel.cups %p-%j

Hmm.  Do I need these print command, lpq command, lprm command params defined?

> I notice that you dont define your printer ...

Not sure what you mean here.  Isn't the above defining the printer.  Oh, one
more thing, one of the diagnostic programs indicated a conflict with "oplocks
= No".  I've removed that, with no effect.

> I have never actually
> printed to a printer connected directly to a SAMBA box, only through LPD/IP
> using cups...
>
> can you send a test page VIA the cups interface?

Yes.  That works, if you mean from the Linux box, not from Samba.

> >I do notice that my log.nmbd file contains these messages:
> >
> >[2004/06/05 23:05:26, 0]
> >nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:find_domain_master_name_query_fail(358)
> >  find_domain_master_name_query_fail:
> >  Unable to find the Domain Master Browser name DARROW335 for the
> >workgroup DARROW335.
> >  Unable to sync browse lists in this workgroup.
> >
> >I get these messages whether the Linux box is or is not the Domain Master
> >Browser.  And I find no configurability of Domain Master Browser at all on
> >the XP side.

Thanks for all your help.