[Samba] Samba Upgrade

Nik Trevallyn-Jones nik at designer.com.au
Tue Jul 20 05:44:45 GMT 2004

Hi Folks,

I would really appreciate any words of wisdom people here could provide me.

I have Samba 2.2.7a, as shipped with RH 9.0, running on a server, supporting
about 25 W2k clients. The linux kernel is running in SMP mode to use the
Hyper-Threaded Pentium-4 CPU. I have tried to create the simplest SAMBA setup
possible, so have no LDAP, ACLS, etc. The 25 w2k clients are all architects
running CAD software and working on a major building design, so I cannot
afford down time, nor unexpected server behaviour. The 2.2.7a Samba has been
the epitome of reliability and efficiency.

However, I really need to enable recycle bins, to better recover accidentally
deleted files. I have tried to enable the recycle VFO in 2.2.7a, but with no
success, so I am considering upgrading to Samba 3.x.

My current plan is to shut down the SAMBA services, backup the /etc/samba
directory, uninstall samba 2.2.7, install SAMBA 3.x, copy my /etc/samba back
in, and restart samba.

Q: Is there any advice that people would offer me on this?

Q: Is there a particular version of Samba that I should upgrade to in
preference to others?

Q: Is there a simple HOW-TO on the recycle-bin VFO for 2.2.7?

Q: Are there any additional procedures I should employ in the upgrade?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Cheers!
Nik