[Samba] FW: Point and Print

chris chris at mmo-accountants.co.uk
Fri Jul 9 15:23:04 GMT 2004

As an updatee to my last post, things are still not working! The drivers
did get added but I'm still not sure whether I achieved this via the Add
Printer Wizard or despite error messages the rpcclient adddriver did
work. I did wonder if the lsa_io_sec_qos: length c does not match size 8
error is because the printer name is too long, especially as when I
tried a shorter name such as HP2300 - with no spaces the files did end
up in the correct directory!!

I therefore attempted the setdriver command and still get error messages
such as WERR_ACCESS_DENIED. Looking at Google I can see lots of posts
and the suggestion that use client driver = yes in smb.conf should be
altered to use client driver = no . Well I tried this with no success
and even tried once again with the add printer wizard but this time I am
unable to change any of the properties. I also tried changing the
permissions on the /etc/cups/printcap file but it made no difference.

I am starting to conclude that either these commands do not work at all
or I am being remarkably thick! I suppose it is possible that the
rpcclient binary is corrupt or the version I am using has a bug in it. I
would very much like to hear if anyone has succeeded in getting this
process to work, particularly with PCL5/6 based printers.

As a alternative, I would consider downloading and compiling Samba but I
am curious as to how I can identfy what option were specified when the
packages were built i.e.is it possible to query the packaged version and
identify the compile options originally used.

Regards,

Chris

Christopher Moss
Murray McIntosh O'Brien