[Samba] 2003 AD and winbind

rjholtz at siu.edu rjholtz at siu.edu
Fri Jul 9 15:33:12 GMT 2004

Ok here's the setup:

Windows 2003 Active Directory
Mandrake 10 running Samba 3 with winbind
Clients: Win 95/98/me/nt4/2000/xp  I'll worry about getting the win 9x
working later, but what I write below happens with winXP and 2000 clients.

When we setup a home directory in a user's AD properties 2 things happen.
 1: a popup comes up from the AD saying that the user doesn't have rights
to create '\\sambaserver\%username%' (which would be '/home/%username%' on
the linux box).  2:  On the client a user can type '\\sambaserver' into
windows explorer and see a public share, and a %username% share.  They can
enter the public share,  but when they try to open their personal share,
it says 'Incorrect password or unknown username for
\\sambaserver\%username%'.

I have a good feeling that username and password are not being passed
correctly between the AD domain controller and the sambaserver.  However I
cannot find out how to fix it.  Anyone have any ideas?

I was not the originator of this project.  The intern before me set this
up and couldn't get it completely working, and when I started my
internship I was assigned the project. I would really appreciate any help
anyone can send my way.  Let me know any questions you have about this.

Thanks,
Ray