[Samba] Printer driver: different options with samba

gilles.massen at restena.lu gilles.massen at restena.lu
Fri Jul 9 15:06:29 GMT 2004

Hi,

You're most certainly right. I don't have an option for restricting output
to 'raw', but disabling the enhanced features brings the NT and Samba
server to the same level.

And now that I know what to look for I have a lot of reading to do (and
installing CUPS...).

Thanks,
Gilles

--
RESTENA - DNS-LU
6, rue Coudenhove-Kalergi

[...]

| I was wondering about the behaviour of printer drivers, in relation with
| Samba. The printer is installed, printing on Samba goes via lprng, and
| Windows printer drivers are installed on the Samba server. On the other
| hand I have an NT4 server with the same drivers (same version)
printing to
| the same printer over the same protocol (LPD). (BTW, the printer is an
HP
| Laserjet 4200, in case it matters).
|
| Now what is weird is that not all options that I have
| when printing via  the NT4 server appear when I print over
| Samba (e.g. "Multiple pages per  sheet" is missing). Same behavior
| with PCL or PS drivers.

Probably a RAW vs. EMF printing issue.  Some features only
available when you are using the print processor (which is
used when used enable 'advanced features' of the driver
(i.e. EMF)).

Try setting the NT print server to use RAW printing only and
see if the options don't match what you see on the Samba server.

Printer Prop -> General Tab -> Print Processor..." ->
                 [X] Always Spool RAW datatype