[Samba] Re: [Samba 3.0.4] Allows w2k machine to join domain, but unable to log on.

Michael Lueck mlueck at lueckdatasystems.com
Mon Jul 5 01:26:34 GMT 2004

OK, sounds like I am in about the same boat as you are, I just got my first Win2K client joined to my first Samba 3.0.4 PDC and logged in.

[global]
    workgroup = lds-smb
    netbios name = LDSTST01
    server string = %h server (Samba %v)
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    max log size = 1000
    syslog = 0
    invalid users = root
    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n .

########## NT Domain Related ##########
    admin users = pianoman
    security = user
    encrypt passwords = true
    passdb backend = smbpasswd
    domain logons = true
    time server = true
    add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g 100 -s /bin/false -M %u

########## NT Domain Related - Master Browser ##########
    browse list = true
    domain master = true
    local master = true
    os level = 33
    preferred master = true

######## File sharing ########
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY

[stage]
    comment = MichaelDist Stager Share
    writable = yes
    path = /shares/stage
    public = yes

Specifically check out the 'admin users' list which is required for the account you wish to put into the join domain dialog on the Win2K side.

Also, workgroup needs to be a valid SMB name, not your internet domain name... drop the .com.

I highly suggest a copy of Rod Smith's "The Definitive Guide to Samba 3" which I got a couple of days ago, read Chapters 1-4, 7, 10, then back to 8 a bit, and thus got this PDC up with little pain.
Also delete your logs now and then and see what NEW data you get in them.

--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems