[Samba] Winbind using the wrong username for IPC$ connections.

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Jan 31 07:31:48 GMT 2004

On Sat, 2004-01-31 at 17:28, Manjunath H N wrote:
> Hi All,
>

> When I run winbindd -i -d5 I am getting the following error
>
> IPC$ connections done by user DOMAIN\domainmanju
> connecting to PDC from SAMBASERVER with username [DOMAIN]\[domainmanju]
>
> & finally it throws up an the following error.
>
> Could not open a connection to DOMAIN for \PIPE\lsarpc
> (NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE)
>
> I have joined the Samba server to the Win2k AD domain, users are able
> to access the server, but I am trying to implement Single Sign on,
> which I have not yet succeeded.
>
> I think it is giving a logon failure because it is using a wrong
> user name i.e. it should use the user "manju" only but it is trying
> to use "domainmanju" . How do I change this so that Samba uses only
> manju as the username and not domainmanju or is this right & I am
> doing something else wrong.

Firstly, you should never need to set such a user in Samba 3.0, against
Win2k.  If you joined with 'net ads join', and use 'security=ads'
correctly, we simply do not need this fuss.

However, your problem is simply that of shell escaping.

See, if you run

wbinfo --set-auth-user=domain\manju%pass

wbinfo sees '--set-auth-user=domainmanju%pass'

Make it \\ and all should be fine.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org