[Samba] Problems with XP <-> XP shares with Linux Samba PDC 3.0.2pre1 "the system cannot find message text for message number 0x in the message file for ..."

Lucas Young lucas at digitalus.co.nz
Mon Jan 26 04:27:16 GMT 2004

Hi all
I have a 5 machine network with 4 machines running XP Pro SP-1 and one (the
server) running Red Hat 9.0 with Samba 3.0.2pre1
Everything seems to run OK except when I try to connect to a shared folder
on an XP machine from another XP machine - sometimes this works, sometimes I
get "the system cannot find message text for message number 0x in the
message file for (the share name)" or "An internal Windows 2000 error
occurred". I'm about to back up my smb.conf and rpm -Uvh the latest 3.0.2rc1
(let me know if there's more involved to an upgrade than that!)
But does anyone know what this problem is and how to get around it?
FYI I have the following partitions on the server:
/mp3 (for music)
/home (holds user profiles, I have two users)
/data (for data)
/client (for client websites)
And an HP 960c printer

My log.machinename files in /var/log/samba have a lot of these errors in
them:
[2004/01/26 07:34:33, 0] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(627)
  Can't become connected user!

My smb.conf looks like this:

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 192.168.0.5 (192.168.0.5)
# Date: 2004/01/12 09:20:40

# Global parameters
[global]
	workgroup = MIDDLEEARTH
	server string = hobbiton
	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
	passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *ReType*new*UNIX*password*
%n\n *passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
	unix password sync = Yes
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
	max log size = 50
	addprinter command = /usr/bin/addprinter
	add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g 100 -s
/bin/false -M %u
	logon script = logon.bat
	logon drive = h:
	domain logons = Yes
	preferred master = Yes
	domain master = Yes
	dns proxy = No
	ldap ssl = no
	admin users = @sysadmin
	hosts allow = 192.168.0., 127.

[homes]
	comment = Home Directories
	read only = No
	browseable = No

[netlogon]
	comment = Network Logon Service
	path = /home/netlogon
	guest ok = Yes
	share modes = No

[printers]
	comment = All Printers
	path = /var/spool/samba
	guest ok = Yes
	printable = Yes
	printer name = raw

[mp3]
	path = /mp3
	read only = No
	guest ok = Yes

[client]
	path = /client
	valid users = @digitalus
	read only = No
	guest ok = Yes

[data]
	path = /data
	valid users = @digitalus
	read only = No
	guest ok = Yes

[profile]
	path = /home/profile
	read only = No
	create mask = 0600
	directory mask = 0700
	profile acls = Yes
	csc policy = disable

[lp0]
	path = /var/spool/samba
	printer admin = @digitalus
	read only = No
	guest ok = Yes
	printable = Yes
	printer name = lp0
	use client driver = Yes
	public=yes
	browseable=yes
	guest only=no

Any hints as to where I might have gone wrong, or problems with my
configuration would be greatly appreciated

cheers

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world -

Lucas Young

phone: 	04 388 1335
mobular:  	021 1919 889
e-mail: