[Samba] Trouble migrating user accounts from NT4 to SAMBA 3.0.1 using "net vampire"

Jimmy Madden jmadden at knology.net
Mon Jan 26 04:54:40 GMT 2004

I'm having trouble migrating user account info from NT4 PDC to SAMBA
3.0.1 BDC (running on RedHat 8.0) using the "net rpc vampire" command.
Not all of the accounts
will migrate.  I cannot see any difference bettween the ones that work
and the ones that don't.  The ones that do NOT work give this message
while running the vampire command:

Creating account: hbrendan
[2004/01/21 18:56:26, 0] passdb/pdb_smbpasswd.c:build_smb_pass(1150)
   build_sam_pass: Failing attempt to store user with non-uid based user
RID

About 40% of the accounts are created properly in /etc/samba/smbpasswd,
although all of them
are created properly in /etc/passwd.  I'm using the smbpasswd backend.

I've spent a week trying  to find the answer to this puzzle with no
success at all.  Can someone give me even a little guidance?

Thanks,
   Jimmy Madden
   jmadden at knology.net