AW: [Samba] unicode conversion solved

Markus Thüer zzz at kapuziner.org
Fri Jan 23 20:06:01 GMT 2004

100-1995&s=ALL
and
http://oss.software.ibm.com/cgi-bin/icu/convexp?conv=ISO-8859-1&s=ALL.

>Does convmv know how to remap cp850 to UTF-8 (never tested it ?)

It has the option: convmv -f cp850 -t utf8  so it should work

Thanks to your hints I found a way to get the german umlaute back, which
were ok with Samba 2.2.8.   :-))  I did set unix charset and dos charset
to cp850 and it worked. So I have all filenames back in the right
spelling.
It should also work with the french acents.

For converting them to UTF-8 I just take a workaround:
I load them down to a WinClient and set Samba to UTF-8 default settings
and than load all the file from the WinClient up to the Samba Share.
So Samba is running with unicode to avoid future troubles.

Many thanks for all hints.

Markus