[Samba] Re: AW: unicode conversion

Jérôme Fenal jerome.fenal at logicacmg.com
Fri Jan 23 16:49:44 GMT 2004

Michel Jouvin wrote:
> Jérome,
>
> No, you have skipped something from the discussion. The pb is that
> before running convmv, the filename is incorrectly truncated because he
> was encoded by Samba v2 (not UTF8) and Samba v3 looks for UTF8. And if
> you convert the filename with convmv, the UTF8 version of the previous
> encoding (supposed to be iso-8859-1) is not correct (doesn't correspond
> to the expected character).
>
> I made a new test : configure Samba v3 with unix charset = iso-8859-1.
> In this case, the character displayed is still not the right one but if
> you create a file with a french é and convert it with convmv, you obtain
> the same encoding as with Samba v3 running with unix charset = utf8.
>
> Looks like if the problem is that encoding used by Samba v2 was not
> iso-8859-1. And convmv is working properly.

Was it CP850 (e.g. default client charset for Samba 2.2) ?
You can check it by running testparm -v if you still have your samba 2
binaries around, on the old smb.conf.

If yes, remember that cp850 != iso-8859-1.
See
http://oss.software.ibm.com/cgi-bin/icu/convexp?conv=ibm-850_P100-1995&s=ALL
and http://oss.software.ibm.com/cgi-bin/icu/convexp?conv=ISO-8859-1&s=ALL.

Does convmv know how to remap cp850 to UTF-8 (never tested it ?)

Regards,

J.

--
Jérôme Fenal - Consultant Unix/SAN/Logiciel Libre
Groupe Expert & Managed Services - LogicaCMG France