[Samba] Re: AW: unicode conversion

Michel Jouvin jouvin at lal.in2p3.fr
Fri Jan 23 15:38:38 GMT 2004

Jérome,

No, you have skipped something from the discussion. The pb is that before
running convmv, the filename is incorrectly truncated because he was
encoded by Samba v2 (not UTF8) and Samba v3 looks for UTF8. And if you
convert the filename with convmv, the UTF8 version of the previous encoding
(supposed to be iso-8859-1) is not correct (doesn't correspond to the
expected character).

I made a new test : configure Samba v3 with unix charset = iso-8859-1. In
this case, the character displayed is still not the right one but if you
create a file with a french é and convert it with convmv, you obtain the
same encoding as with Samba v3 running with unix charset = utf8.

Looks like if the problem is that encoding used by Samba v2 was not
iso-8859-1. And convmv is working properly.

Any idea.

Michel

--On vendredi 23 janvier 2004 16:13 +0100 Jérôme Fenal
<jerome.fenal at logicacmg.com> wrote:

> Michel Jouvin wrote:
>
>> Bjoern,
>>
>> I have the same problem (see thread incorrect handling of files with
>> accentuated chars) with french accentuated chars. convmv allows samba
>> not to truncate the filename but the converted character is not the
>> right one. I tried different value for -f.
>>
>> An example :
>>
>> - I have a filename with french 'é' in it. In Samba 2.2.8 (and previous
>> versions, I never had any pb), it was encoded as character \202.
>> - If I run convmv (-f iso-8859-1 -t utf8), this character is translated
>> to 2 chars \302\202 which is not displayed as é by Samba 3.
>> - If I create a new file under Samba v3 with the french 'é' in the name,
>> it is encoded as \303\251.
>>
>> In these tests, Samba v3 is running with default unix charset (not
>> defined in smb.conf) and Samba v2 was running with default settings too.
>
> Oui, set the following in smb.conf :
>
>          unix charset            = UTF8
>
> Then you will be able to see diacritics correctly on Windows clients.
>
> The downside is that Solaris users won't see correctly these filenames if
> they don't have their environment correctly set.
>
> Regards,
>
> J.
>
> --
> Jérôme Fenal - Consultant Unix/SAN/Logiciel Libre
> Groupe Expert & Managed Services - LogicaCMG France
> http://www.logicacmg.com/fr/ - <mailto:jerome.fenal AT logicacmg.com>
>
> --

     * Michel Jouvin                 Email : jouvin at lal.in2p3.fr *
     * LAL / CNRS                    Tel : +33 1 64468932        *
     * B.P. 34                       Fax : +33 1 69079404        *
     * 91898 Orsay Cedex                                         *
     * France                                                    *