[Samba] unicode conversion

Bjoern JACKE samba at j3e.de
Fri Jan 23 11:00:54 GMT 2004

On 2004-01-23 at 11:27 +0100 Markus Thüer sent off:
>I have just updatet, Samba 2.2.8a to 3.0.1 and all my files with german
>umlaute in its names where just glibberish and I couln'd open them
>anymore. I work with XP and Win98 Clients.
>Well, I fixed that with setting unix charset = ISO8859-15. But the
>umlaute are still not shown rightly. New files are ok and I can change
>old ones by hand.

so if ISO8859-15 works okay for you, you probably also had set
"character set = iso8859-15" in Samba 2. With Samba 3 you really
should leave "unix charset" to the default, utf8, you just have to
convert the old filenames.

>Can I chage them automaticly with convmv ?
>And what settings need I with unix charset when I convert them.
>Does it also work with the Win98 Clients?

yes, it does, convmv can convert recursively and also skips files
which are already utf-8 encoded, so even if you have newly created
files in utf-8 and old filenames still encoded in iso8859-1 (or cp850
or whatever), turning everything into utf-8 is fairly easy.

Bjoern