[Samba] unicode conversion

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Jan 23 07:28:38 GMT 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-22 at 00:44, Fabien.LIOU at fr.thalesgroup.com wrote:
> Hi,
>

> We have windows XP and NT workstations. They are configured to support
> french language.
>
> Also we export samba 2.2.8 shares through a solaris 8 machine.
> But these samba shares are NFS mounted file systems that come from a NAS
> (Celerra's EMC)

Why do you not use EMC's own CIFS server?

> In smb.conf:
> - Character set parameter is not set.
> - Codepage is 850
>
> In the NAS file server the parameter is set to unicode.

What exactly does that mean?

> In windows machines filenames look good.
> In Solaris for example eacute are replaced with something like \202 or
> spaces are replaced with \200.
> In NAS, is worst.
> All natives unix filenames are good.

I think you have probably got yourself into a right mess.  I strongly
suggest you rename (see the convmv utility) all the files into UTF8, and
set 'unix charset = utf8'.  This is probably what the NAS thinks it is
exporting...

> So do we have to upgrade samba to samba3.0 ?
> What parameters do we have to set in smb.conf (2.2.8 and 3.0) ?

2.2 never supported unicode, but 3.0's support relies on using UTF8 on
the disk for a fully effective system.  If that is all too hard, and you
know that another codepage will work better, and you know that all your
filenames are actually in that codepage, then set 'unix charset =
CP850'  (assuming it was indeed cp850).

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org