[Samba] unicode conversion

Fabien.LIOU at fr.thalesgroup.com Fabien.LIOU at fr.thalesgroup.com
Wed Jan 21 13:44:10 GMT 2004

Hi,

We have windows XP and NT workstations. They are configured to support
french language.

Also we export samba 2.2.8 shares through a solaris 8 machine.
But these samba shares are NFS mounted file systems that come from a NAS
(Celerra's EMC)

In smb.conf:
- Character set parameter is not set.
- Codepage is 850

In the NAS file server the parameter is set to unicode.

In windows machines filenames look good.
In Solaris for example eacute are replaced with something like \202 or
spaces are replaced with \200.
In NAS, is worst.
All natives unix filenames are good.

So do we have to upgrade samba to samba3.0 ?
What parameters do we have to set in smb.conf (2.2.8 and 3.0) ?

Thanks a lot.

Fabien