[Samba] Newbie: Samba and Networks

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Jan 23 07:06:36 GMT 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 10:32, mwestern at sola.com.au wrote:
> sounds like you have bitten off a big chunk...   first of all, can you map
> the drive on the local network?   you need port 135 open across all your
> routers/firewalls, and i'm guessing if it's a real firewall 135 will
> definitly be closed...

135 is not required for drive mapping, nor name resolution.  It is the
DCERPC endpoint mapper port.

> if this is just a once off thing, or not used much have you considered using
> winscp?  it's a remote/local copy freebie that uses ssh.   i use it quite a
> bit when i can't be bothered using samba, or it's a brand new box...
> i'm assuming you use ssh here not telnet?

CIFS between different cities is always going to be painful, to say the
least.  I think the ports are correct, but how are you doing name
resolution?   Only IP or DNS names are going to make sense here.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net