[Samba] shared folders ownership

Edd Payne edd.payne at ulu.lon.ac.uk
Mon Jan 19 11:07:25 GMT 2004

If everyone should have access to the directory, the best way is to put
everyone into a group (if they're not already - eg if you're running RedHat),
say for example 'users', then set the directory's group ownership to "users",
the permissions of the directory to something like 775 (or 770), and then in
the share definition something like:

	force group = users
	create directory mode = 770
	create mode = 660

which will make sure all files and directories created inside that directory
have group read/write permissions and belong to the correct group. You may
also need to set up a group mapping (net groupmap unixgroup=users
ntgroup="Users")

If it's a subdirectory of a share, in which only the subdirectory needs write
permissions for everybody, then you'll need to mess about with permissions -
I *think* setting something like 2770 on the directory makes all files
created in that directory belong to the same group as the directory, but I'm
not an expert when it comes to that.

HTH

edd

--