[Samba] problem mixing printing cups and own print commands

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Wed Jan 14 01:57:38 GMT 2004

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004, [ISO-8859-1] Lutz Krüger wrote:

> hello,
> i'm using samba 3.0.0beta2-1 on Debian.with passdb backend = ldapsam and
> printing = cups.
> in the past Samba 2.0.5 i'm using printing = bsd and define my printers
> in the /etc/printcap. additional i define own printers to create pdf -
> files.
>
> Now i'm using cups. everything works fine with printers defined on cups
> ( automatic driver installation, printing ... )., but printing ( not
> driver installation !) with own print commands failed.
> What's wrong ? Works cups and own print commands not together ?

Correct. When you use CUPS, samba communicates directly with CUPS via the
CUPS printing libraries.

So set up your printers in CUPS (including PDF production) and you should
have a very robust printing environment.

Suggest you refer to the Samba-HOWTO-Collection chapters on CUPS printing.
See:
	http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf

cheers,
John T.