[Samba] problem mixing printing cups and own print commands

Lutz Krüger krueson at t-online.de
Tue Jan 13 23:44:28 GMT 2004

hello,
i'm using samba 3.0.0beta2-1 on Debian.with passdb backend = ldapsam and
printing = cups.
in the past Samba 2.0.5 i'm using printing = bsd and define my printers
in the /etc/printcap. additional i define own printers to create pdf -
files.

Now i'm using cups. everything works fine with printers defined on cups
( automatic driver installation, printing ... )., but printing ( not
driver installation !) with own print commands failed.
What's wrong ? Works cups and own print commands not together ?

The printing-section of my smb.conf looks like follows

;Printing
   printing = cups
   printcap name = cups
   load printers = yes
   show add printer wizard = yes

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /dataserver/samba/printer
public = yes
guest ok = yes
writable = no
printable = yes
printer admin = @_sambaadmins

[print$]
comment = Printer Driver Download Area
path = /dataserver/samba/printer
browseable = yes
guest ok = yes
read only = yes
write list = @_sambaadmins

[PDF-Printer]
comment = PDF Printer
#print command = /etc/samba/scripte/pdf_print.pl %s %p %I %m %M %g %u %T
print command = echo Printing %s >> /tmp/print.log
path = /tmp
#path = /dataserver/samba/printer
printer admin = @_sambaadmins
browseable = yes
printable = yes
writable = no
create mode = 0666

Thanks for your help ( and reading my bad english ;-)

krueson