[Samba] smbclient works....mounting does not

Dave Thomas dave at sasdatalink.com
Tue Jan 13 23:54:36 GMT 2004

Hi list,

I have a RH9 box at a clients site that needs to access a Win 2003
server to retrieve files every morning. This has always worked well but
our client decided to 'upgrade' the windows server they are using to
2003 and I am having problems mounting the windows share to our RH
system now. The thing that I cant figure out is why can I access the
share and retrieve files using 'smbclient' but when I try to mount the
same share I get the following error:

cli_negprot: SMB signing is mandatory and we have disabled it.
28694: protocol negotiation failed
SMB connection failed

This seems very odd to me that smbclient works just dandy but mounting
is out of the question. Here is my global section from smb.conf...we are
not sharing any directories from the Linux system. Oh...samba ver
3.0.1-2 installed via samba-3.0.1-2_rh9.i386.rpm from the samba download
site.

Thanks for any assistance on this.

Dave

[global]
         workgroup = SOMEGROUP
         server string = Samba Server
         security = DOMAIN
         obey pam restrictions = Yes
         password server = dc711fs
         pam password change = Yes
         passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
         passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
         unix password sync = Yes
         log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
         max log size = 0
         client signing = Yes