[Samba] questions

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Jan 7 03:29:19 GMT 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-06 at 20:14, Edgar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a samba server running on Linux (RedHat 9.0), with the security set to user and 3 valid user IDs. The clients are 3  PCs running on Windows XP (HomeEdition) and connected through a router. From the PCs running Windows I can see the localhost (Sambas Server), but for some reason one PC can only connect to the share directory on the Samba Server. The questions are as follows.
>
> 1.  Should every user log in with a different user ID to access the shared directory on the Samba Server? or can I use the same user ID to log in on different PCs to access the shared directory?
> 2. Could there be another reason why only one PC can connect to the shared directory?

---
yes and yes

Yes - permissions

ls -l /path_to_shared_directory will show that only the one user has
access - you need 'groups'

john member of group dom_users
paul member of group dom_users
george member of group dom_users

ls -l /home/samba/shared
_rwxrwxr_x  george  dom_users  #all can read and write
_rwxrwxr_x  george  george     #only george can read and write

Craig