[Samba] local master not pushing all hosts to remote master browser

Shane Drinkwater Shane_Drinkwater at pa-ucl.com
Tue Jan 6 19:42:53 GMT 2004

Hello,
I am trying to get subnet browsing working. when I setup one of the remote
LINUX/Samba boxes to be the local master. The log.nmbd
reads for a 2.2.8 server
[2004/01/06 13:38:22, 0] nmbd/nmbd.c:main(664)
  Netbios nameserver version 3.0.1 started.
  Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1994-2003
[2004/01/06 13:38:45, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:become_local_master_stage2(396)
  *****

  Samba name server HERMES is now a local master browser for workgroup CSQ
on subnet 172.27.4.30

  *****

Shouldn't that read if I have a 255.255.255.0 Subnet mask???
Samba name server HERMES is now a local master browser for workgroup CSQ on
subnet 172.27.4.0/24

The resone I am asking is that Hermes shows up on the browse lists but other
computers on the 172.27.4.0/24 samba subnet
do not get into the master browser list. All Windows Boxes, LINUX/Samba
boxes goto 1 WINS Server...

                                                            Thank you for
your Time
                                                                    Shane