[Samba] slow and max connection errors

Jason Balicki kodak at frontierhomemortgage.com
Mon Jan 5 17:51:09 GMT 2004

>I am running Samba Version 2.2.8
>
>Below is my smb.conf:

[smb.conf edited for brevity]

>[global]
>         load printers = no

This should be yes if you want your printers to show up.
Otherwise the [printers] share below is there for no
reason.

>         socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192

I don't think you need socket options anymore, I could be wrong.

>         netbios name = RSB
>         server string = RSB Server
>         workgroup = RSB

The SMB protocol doesn't allow you to have your machine name
the same as your workgroup name.  This may be an issue.

>[shared]
>         valid users =
>swashington,dwheeling,beaster,bfitch,breynoso,bwatson,cbowen,cs
>anford,dg
>oldfluss,dhuscher,dkalutkiewicz,dmauz,dmcintosh,dschneider,dtin
>sley,dwhe
>eling,dyoung,gblack,gbonner,gfriedman,gmarciniak,imoore,jburns,
>jmayer,jm
>ccormick,jmercer,jpallotto,jrodriguez,jsabel,jvirgil,jvoss,kjoh
>nson,lbro
>wn,lfields,lperkins,mfleming,mhaynes,mheimple,mkarge,mwager,nwa
>llace,rbo
>wen,robbowen,rrestivo,rstearns,rwinterboer,skirtland,swright,sy
>oung,tbur
>gess,tswapp,twolf,wgriffith

That's a lot of "valid users".  Perhaps you should create a group,
just for managability.  Not strictly necessary.

>>> 2. When macintosh and XP users connect all is fine except for
>>> the speed
>>> issue above but when a win2k client tries to connect it
>gets an error
>>> that max users/services have been reached.

What's the exact error and how does it present itself?  Is it
in the event log, or is it a popup dialog type error message?

--J(K)