[Samba] slow and max connection errors

Don Wheeling donw at rsbroadband.com
Mon Jan 5 17:26:52 GMT 2004

Sorry about not being specific enough. I will try and be more so in the
future. Here is what I have currently:

Apple X-serve running Yellowdog (a Redhat 9 port for ppc) with 1GB of
RAM, 3 60GB HD not setup as RAID. They are individual partitions (/var
and /, /home and /shared). The shared partition is strictly for Samba
file sharing. I build in a matching user in both the system and in
Samba. This way each user gets a private and a public folder.

I am running Samba Version 2.2.8

Below is my smb.conf:

[global]
         log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
         load printers = no
         smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
         passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
         obey pam restrictions = yes
         encrypt passwords = yes
         passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
         max disk size = 40000000000
         wins support = true
         dns proxy = no
         netbios name = RSB
         server string = RSB Server
         printing = cups
         default = shared
         unix password sync = Yes
         workgroup = RSB
         os level = 20
         printcap name = /etc/printcap
         security = user
         pam password change = yes

[homes]
         browseable = no
         writable = yes
         comment = Home Directories
         valid users = %S
         create mode = 0664
         max connections = 50
         directory mode = 0775

[printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /var/spool/samba
    browseable = no
# Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
    guest ok = no
    writable = no
    printable = yes

[shared]
         browseable = yes
         wide links = no
         printable = no
         writeable = yes
         path = /mnt/drbd/nb1/shared
         force create mode = 750
         comment = Shared Files
         valid users =
swashington,dwheeling,beaster,bfitch,breynoso,bwatson,cbowen,csanford,dg
oldfluss,dhuscher,dkalutkiewicz,dmauz,dmcintosh,dschneider,dtinsley,dwhe
eling,dyoung,gblack,gbonner,gfriedman,gmarciniak,imoore,jburns,jmayer,jm
ccormick,jmercer,jpallotto,jrodriguez,jsabel,jvirgil,jvoss,kjohnson,lbro
wn,lfields,lperkins,mfleming,mhaynes,mheimple,mkarge,mwager,nwallace,rbo
wen,robbowen,rrestivo,rstearns,rwinterboer,skirtland,swright,syoung,tbur
gess,tswapp,twolf,wgriffith
         create mode = 750
         directory mode = 2750

I think that's it. Thanks