[Samba] PPP Dial in

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Feb 26 04:36:12 GMT 2004

In case this matters... RH AS 3 / samba 3.0.0-14-3E

Just switched dial in from Windows RAS server to Linux PPP server. I
can't seem to figure out a way to allow Windows users to log in with
Domain name

i.e. /etc/ppp/pap.secrets
client       server    password    ip address
DOMAIN\user    *       my_pass     111.222.333.444
"DOMAIN\user"  *       my_pass     111.222.333.444
DOMAIN\\user   *       my_pass     111.222.333.444

No matter what, I can't log on - if I use the domain. This means that
the dial-in user can't access the domain without network
browsing...which I have simplified somewhat by creating a batch file
that simply does 'explorer.exe \\Server'  - but that sure isn't pretty.

I'm thinking that someone here has solved this issue (running dial-in
and providing domain access).

Also - on these same lines...I can add ms-dns ip.of.dns.server to
/etc/ppp/options but how about wins server? - at this point, I have to
manually put the wins server address into the windows dial-up client for
it to be able to browse the network. Any suggestions?

As long as we're going for the long ball, is there any methodology to
support L2TP via Samba? What I want is full Windows RAS from Samba ;-)

Craig