[Samba] PPP Dial in

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Feb 26 11:54:15 GMT 2004

On Thu, 2004-02-26 at 15:36, Craig White wrote:
> In case this matters... RH AS 3 / samba 3.0.0-14-3E
>
> Just switched dial in from Windows RAS server to Linux PPP server. I
> can't seem to figure out a way to allow Windows users to log in with
> Domain name
>
> i.e. /etc/ppp/pap.secrets
> client       server    password    ip address
> DOMAIN\user    *       my_pass     111.222.333.444
> "DOMAIN\user"  *       my_pass     111.222.333.444
> DOMAIN\\user   *       my_pass     111.222.333.444

What you really want is to use the domain passwords.

> No matter what, I can't log on - if I use the domain. This means that
> the dial-in user can't access the domain without network
> browsing...which I have simplified somewhat by creating a batch file
> that simply does 'explorer.exe \\Server'  - but that sure isn't pretty.

So they are logging in on PPP fine, they just can't browse?  The PPP
level and the SMB/Browsing level are very different problems.

> I'm thinking that someone here has solved this issue (running dial-in
> and providing domain access).
>
> Also - on these same lines...I can add ms-dns ip.of.dns.server to
> /etc/ppp/options but how about wins server? - at this point, I have to
> manually put the wins server address into the windows dial-up client for
> it to be able to browse the network. Any suggestions?

ms-dns and ms-wins are both documented in the PPP manpage.

> As long as we're going for the long ball, is there any methodology to
> support L2TP via Samba? What I want is full Windows RAS from Samba ;-)

It's not impossible.  See my paper at
http://hawkerc.net/staff/abartlet/comp3700 for information on using
PoPToP in a similar situation, but pppoe would also work.  Anything that
can talk PPP can use the MS domain passwords.  I need to extend the
patch provided to also work with plaintext...

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net