[Samba] Re: Supplementary Group Issues

Jérôme Fenal jerome.fenal at logicacmg.com
Tue Feb 24 13:31:13 GMT 2004

Dmitry Monakhov wrote:

> Hi, All
>
>> I was wondering if any one else is having issues with supplementary
>> groups
>> not being recognized.  It seems as if Samba is ignoring the
>> sup.groups.  I'm
>> using RH9.0 on Intel with samba-3.0.0-2_rh9 and OpenLDAP 2.0.27.  When
>> I do
>> a "id -a username" the user is in all the necessary groups but when
>> accessing shares the users' primary GID is used only.
>

> I have the same problem using samba 3.0.2a SUN Solaris-9 SUN One
> Directory Server 5.2
>
> Supplementary groups are recognized quite correct under unix shell
> environment, but samba can recognize them only from /etc/group file
> ignoring content of /etc/nsswithch.conf
>
> Is it bug or samba-3.* feature?

What are the clients you use ? If Win9X, there was a bug in Samba3
before 3.0.1rc? where groups where compared in uppercase to the posix
ones (mostly lowercase). It has been corrected in latests Samba 3.0.2
and 3.0.2a.
Also, remember that all the secondary groups you need to see in Samba
have to be defined in LDAP, and groupmapped.

Regards,

Jérôme

--
Jérôme Fenal - Consultant Unix/SAN/Logiciel Libre
Groupe Expert & Managed Services - LogicaCMG France