[Samba] samba as a file server

moof48 at temple.edu moof48 at temple.edu
Sat Feb 21 06:16:21 GMT 2004

I currently have samba 3.0.2 working with ldap as a filer
sever Only.  My question is how would I get samba working as
file server that would handle 50k users. My main concern is
that I want reliability.  I would also like to be able to
build horizantally if needed.  I was first thing some type
of cluster connecting to a SAN but I would rather do it like
we do our webservices.  We have x numer of small systems
behind an alteon.  Could I do something like this with samba
as just a file server.  Any recomendations on the setup?

I also plan on looking into having samba doing some
authentication for the different domains around our campus.
Would you make our Samba file server a PDC  Excuse my
limited knoweledge on all this domain and winblows stuff. I
still have a lot more reading to do.