[Samba] samba as a file server

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Feb 21 11:21:22 GMT 2004

On Sat, 2004-02-21 at 17:16, moof48 at temple.edu wrote:
> I currently have samba 3.0.2 working with ldap as a filer
> sever Only.  My question is how would I get samba working as
> file server that would handle 50k users.

50k concurrent connections, or 50k accounts and 100 connections?  (it
makes a bit of a difference ;-)

Some of the recent work on Samba 3.0 will help on 50k connections, but
others will talk about how to handle that kind of load...

> My main concern is
> that I want reliability.  I would also like to be able to
> build horizantally if needed.  I was first thing some type
> of cluster connecting to a SAN but I would rather do it like
> we do our webservices.  We have x numer of small systems
> behind an alteon.  Could I do something like this with samba
> as just a file server.  Any recomendations on the setup?

Not for the same data - what you can do however is split up the data,
and use MSDFS to handle the redirections.

> I also plan on looking into having samba doing some
> authentication for the different domains around our campus.
> Would you make our Samba file server a PDC  Excuse my
> limited knoweledge on all this domain and winblows stuff. I
> still have a lot more reading to do.

You could make the Samba server a PDC - then the other domains can trust
it.  Samba can also trust other domains, or be part of a domain that
trusts other domains.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org