[Samba] Re: sometime slowness win2k win98

Mark gmane at tippingmar.com
Tue Feb 17 20:59:38 GMT 2004

"Paul LaFollette" <lafollet at huygens.cis.temple.edu> wrote in message
news:200402171756.i1HHuwjE021353 at huygens.cis.temple.edu...
> Good people,
>
> I'm new to samba and more experienced with the unix world than the
> windows world.  I have set up a small system consisting of a samba
> server running Samba 2.2.3 and FreeBSD 4.4, two win2k systems and
> a win98 notebook.  Networking hardware consists of 3com in the FreeBSD
> system, whatever 10BaseT stuff is in the motherboards of the windows
> systems, and 10BaseT twisted pair and hub.
>
> smb.conf looks like:
> [global]
> netbios name = BROOKLYN
> encrypt passwords = yes
> wins support = yes
> hosts allow = 10.0.0.
> oplocks = no
> domain master = yes

try adding these:
preferred master = yes
local master = yes
oslevel = 65

This will let the samba machine force and win an election to become the
local master browser.  That's a pretty old samba by the way.  2.2.8a was the
last in the 2.2 series and now we are on to 3.0.2a.  It should work though.
--
Mark