[Samba] how to mount another persons home dir when using [homes]

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Feb 15 04:37:36 GMT 2004

On Sat, 2004-02-14 at 20:35, Heupink, Mourik Jan C. wrote:
> Dear list.
>
> Using samba 3.0.2, exporting home directories to drives using [homes].
>
> Suppose this scenario: an employee falls ill. Someone else has to take over
> this persons work. I want to give this NEW person access to the ill person's
> home directory. Homedirectories shares are created at logon time. Meaning
> that the share for the ill person currently does NOT exist (as he or she is
> at home, being ill, and samba has been restarted) so the new person CANNOT
> open the other persons home.
>
> Is this true..? Or am I missing something..? And what would be a
> workaround..? Tried searching archives, but could find any similar
> questions.

Firstly, Samba will always honour filesystem permissions.  This means
that you would need to change those permissions first.

After that, then you can simply access \\server\sick_puppy much as you
already access \\server\well_person.  (You should never use
\\server\homes, always the 'per user' name due to nasty client
interactions).

Naturally, if you have 'valid users = %S', then this will get in your
way.

Or you could just create a shared folder, and have things that are not
personal/private in there.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org