[Samba] Using smbmount as a user

Alex alexscott at lineone.net
Fri Feb 13 09:12:25 GMT 2004

oops!
I found this on another list when I did a google search for the error
which I was getting.

"The key here is that the command works when you are root.
What I have done is this:
in the /usr/bin directory are all the smb* programs
if you login as root and do this in the /usr/bin directory:
chmod +s smb*
All the smb programs will be set to suid root (the +s does this)
then login as yourself and all should be happy. "

I tried the command and I am now getting this error when I try to smbmount:

libsmb based programs must *NOT* be setuid root.

How could I unset the chmod +s smb* root?