[Samba] Re: school PDC questions

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Feb 9 22:39:50 GMT 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-10 at 09:22, Matthew Daubenspeck wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 09:05:23AM +1100, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > Get used to writing and running Net::LDAP perl scripts.  Then it's a
> > simple matter of parsing the text dump from your student admin system.
> >
> > My site is just Samba+LDAP, plus a lot of local scripts.
> >
> > If generating passwords for your students, the Crypt::SmbHash module is
> > very useful.
> >
> > Andrew Bartlett
>
> Is LDAP a must in this example? Wouldn't it be just as easy to create
> local accounts?

LDAP scares people.  However, once you understand it, you realise how
many things 'speak' ldap, and when you get ideas about setting up a BDC,
then it becomes a 'must'.  (The other 'solutions' you might consider -
particularly rsync - simply don't work).

I find LDAP allows me to easily add information about web quotas, for
example.   (I hope to release my particular variant on this problem
space shortly)

Andrew Bartlett
Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org