[Samba] much slower backups using smbtar

Stefan G. Weichinger monitor at oops.co.at
Sat Feb 7 19:35:14 GMT 2004

Hello, Sutto,

Freitag, 06. Februar 2004, 21:51 you wrote:

SZ> There is a backup script running from cron which create daily incremental
SZ> and (full on friday)
SZ> backups from samba shares (>6GB/share) using smbtar.

SZ> Output of backup script on PII config:
SZ>     538112 ( 3981.1 kb/s)

SZ> Output of backup script on P4 config:
SZ>      37888 (  146.2 kb/s)

SZ> Any help would be appreciated.

What's the script doing?

As you not only upgraded Samba, but the whole OS, I would look for
issues like network-config, duplexing and such first.

How fast is your standard copy-to-samba-share for instance?

--

It is nice to tell us about your shiny new hardware, but this is
obviously not your bottleneck.

Maybe it is just your new NIC set to halfduplex-10mbit ---- ;)

In short words, this might not be a Samba-topic at all.

Look for basic network-config first.

--
best regards,
Stefan G. Weichinger