[Samba] much slower backups using smbtar

Sutto Zoltan sutto.zoltan at rutinsoft.hu
Fri Feb 6 20:51:45 GMT 2004

Hi!

I have moved our samba configuration to a new hardware.
Old config:
    PII  266 MHz
    96MB memory
    RedHat 7.2
    20Gb ide hard drive for samba shares
    samba-*-2.2.7-3.7.2 packages installed
    kernel-2.4.20-28.7

New config:
    P4 2.4GHz
    512MB memory
    RedHat 9.0
    60GB scsi hard drive for samba shares and OS
    40GB ide hard drive for backups
    samba-*-2.2.7a-8.9.0 packages installed
    kernel-2.4.20-28.9

There is a backup script running from cron which create daily incremental
and (full on friday)
backups from samba shares (>6GB/share) using smbtar.

On the new config this script runs much slower. I can not figure it out what
could be the problem.I have recompiled samba-2.2.7a package from srpm but
nothing has
changed. Same with samba-2.2.8a.

Output of backup script on PII config:
    538112 ( 3981.1 kb/s)