[Samba] Migrating from Samba 2.2.8 to 3.x on different machine

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Dec 30 06:40:55 GMT 2004

On Tue, 2004-12-28 at 14:40 +0100, Jorick Astrego wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> Samba 2.x has been running for a while now but now it's time to upgrade. I
> tried everything (Google, Books, HOWTO's, etc.) but for the last month
> I've been unable to perform a succesfull migration. Maybe I try to do to
> many things at once but I cannot get the following to work:
>
> - Move the samba domain from a 2.x server to 3.x on a different machine
> - switch to a ldap backend
> - change the domain name (our company name has changed)

You will loose all your machine account trusts in this process.  NT
Domains cannot be renamed, without rejoining all the machines.

> - rename all the users from firstname to first initial + lastname

> I installed and configured a 3.x server on the machine with OpenLdap as
> backend, then I tried to join the old Samba domain so I could use net
> vampire but I get the message: error setting trust account password:
> NT_ACCESS_DENIED

Vampire is only for Windows servers.  You cannot vampire a Samba domain
- and there is no need anyway, you have the user database in an open
format already,

Look into the account database migration tools (pdbedit -i -e) in Samba
3.0 after you first get Samba 3.0 managing your new domain.  Also read
the documentation on maintaining a consistent domain SID during the
process.

Andrew Bartlett

--
Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org>