[Samba] Migrating from Samba 2.2.8 to 3.x on different machine

Spike Burkhardt burkhardt.richard at ssd.loral.com
Tue Dec 28 16:05:47 GMT 2004

Jorick,

  If you're having problems then I'd scale back on all the changes.  Basically
I'd install the 3.0.10 software, copy over the smb.conf and first see if that
works.  I'd then do the domain name, switch to ldap & finally to the rename.
This last part depends on whether ldap has the desired username.  See below
for how I'd attack the problem.

Jorick Astrego wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> Samba 2.x has been running for a while now but now it's time to upgrade. I
> tried everything (Google, Books, HOWTO's, etc.) but for the last month
> I've been unable to perform a succesfull migration. Maybe I try to do to
> many things at once but I cannot get the following to work:
>
> - Move the samba domain from a 2.x server to 3.x on a different machine

Do this first.

   * Install 3.0.10 on the new machine.
   * Copy the smb.conf file from the old machine to the new machine.
   * Startup and test.
   * If it fails, post the results with the appropriate log entries and your
     smb.conf file.

     - switch to a ldap backend

Do this third.

   * After the first two steps are successfully completed, populate LDAP with
     the appropriate info without the renaming of accounts.
   * Make your smb.conf changes.  This could be where changing company names
     would make a difference.  You'll need to know this information such as
     OU, admin password...
   * Verify that samba is connecting to the LDAP server.  Even at the lowest
     levels of log messages, you should see a "connected" message.
   * After successfully connecting and mounting a share with LDAP add the new
     usernames without taking out the old ones.

> - change the domain name (our company name has changed)

Do this second.
Are you saying that the workgroup has changed?  If so then change it in
smb.conf.  If the workgroup hasn't changed then there is no need.

> - rename all the users from firstname to first initial + lastname
>
> I installed and configured a 3.x server on the machine with OpenLdap as
> backend, then I tried to join the old Samba domain so I could use net
> vampire but I get the message: error setting trust account password:
> NT_ACCESS_DENIED

Do this last.

   * Instead of renaming the LDAP usernames, add the new usernames.
   * Mount a share with the new username
   * If not successful then post the results with the appropriate log entries
     and your smb.conf file

HTH.

spike